Sunday, November 20, 2005

musings

Watched pride and prejudice with J last night which was wonderfully romantic. J was aghast that I had never read pride and prejudice so I guess I'll try to read it over thanksgiving. It'll give me something to do while being trapped at home. So one takeaway from the movie: has anyone noticed that Kiera Knightley's left eye is oddly shaped? there is just something weird about it - it's a little hard to describe. The movie had endless closeups of her eyes so I was forced to analyze them.

Missy the cat is gone. I was looking forward to her leaving and now that she is gone, I feel guilty and sad. I imagine her crying in her little cage at the shelter. sigh. I was trying to comfort myself with the thought that she's so friendly that maybe she'll be adopted quickly. One can only hope.

My last thought for the weekend:

I've been realizing that on dates, it really does matter to me if the guy offers to pay for everything. I've been trying to figure out why it matters since I didn't think I was really this old fashioned and I think I've finally figured out why. When you split the check at the end of the meal, you basically settle all dues with each other. There is no implication oh that maybe the other person will pay for the next outing. Basically you're free and clear to never see the person again. On the other hand, if you are girl on a date with someone you don't want to see again, you really don't want them to pay for everything (so for that lunch date on Friday, I was happy to split the bill). Some people don't think the handling of the bill is all that important but sometimes when there are so few signals to pick up on, you take what you can get.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Having the guy pay when a woman is totally capable of paying is not only a nice gesture, but it's also one of the few ways a man can express his interest in providing for a woman. If the woman is not capable of paying, the man should expect some serious boning afterwards.

Anonymous said...

Offering to pay is good if you go to a seafood restaurant and they have lobster on the menu.

Anonymous said...

what if you forget your wallet?

DrYuen2005 said...

the bill is like the moment of truth. if he doesn't pay, he's not interested (or clueless or broke). if she doesn't let him pay, she's not interested (usually). if he pays and she lets him then things are all good...or she's just a gold digger. i just made this more confusing than i thought it was. oops.