Wednesday, November 02, 2005

crazy chinese banquets

Ok, so I have had previous rants on how chinese wedding banquets were loud and obnoxious but I just had a great time at one this weekend so perhaps I should reconsider. Or maybe they just had friends and relatives who actually paid more attention to the wedding events. The dinner was at a big chinese restaurant in S. SF and we had 3-4 tables of dragonboat folks so it was fun knowing lots of people. They did the family introductions in English, Cantonese, and then Mandarin. I couldn't believe they had the folks stand up 3 times. oy. I was afraid that they would be translating everything in 2 other languages after that but it was only for the introductions thank god. There was a fabulous lion dance, lots of entertainment (wedding games), and 3 dress changes for the bride. And for the first time, there was much dancing after the meal and the dancing included the older generation! It was really fun to see.

No comments: