And I am frightened. So this afternoon, I discovered I hadn't escaped my parents usual habit of springing potential suitors on me when I come home to visit. I've stopped fighting it - I get the usual lecture of how it will soon be too late and I'll be a spinster, yada, yada yada. I don't have the energy for this battle. Anyhow, today they tell me I'll be having a meal tomorrow with a potential new friend. Great. Then my dad pulled out the chinese yellow pages and showed me a doctor's ad and said this is the guy I'll be meeting. I was actually quite amused. I asked him if he was trolling the yellow pages now for mates for me. That would be funny. He claims to not have done that but you never know...
Anyhow, this was when my Mom chimed in and told me what her deepest wish was (besides me getting married I mean). She said that she hoped I would meet a guy in LA so that I would move down here and they could take care of all the grandchildren I would produce because I would live nearby. GAH. Move to LA? (Remember, when they say LA - they really mean the valley where they live - not anywhere cool like Santa Monica). Live near my parents? I can't even fathom that. Now I know why they have been ignoring all my protests about meeting people in LA when I live in the bay area. I had a moment of pure horror imagining my future of having my parents come over all the time. I thought about LA traffic. I thought about working in LA. I had to take a moment to calm myself down. Seriously if I moved down here to the valley for a guy, I might as well just give in and become a housewife at that point and give up any semblance of having a life for myself.
In any case, my dad just told me lunch has been finalized for tomorrow. The players in this farce consist of me, my parents, the random bank person my parents know who is setting us up, the dude, and his parents. This of course bodes well. You know - I should stop being surprised everytime my parents do this to me - I always somehow black out the memory but now it's coming back to me that they did this to me last Thanksgiving even when I was dating someone then. Perhaps I should just think of it as another thanksgiving tradition to torture me.
If only one could drink during lunch - that would help.
3 comments:
Don't go to LA. I might have to go to LA to work...and I'd almost rather mop floors than go to LA.
hmmmm. Would someplace like Santa Monica even count as LA for you parents? Cause that would be awesome. I'd come live with you!
some people you know still live in LA...
Post a Comment