Friday, November 18, 2005

meeting up

So I finally met up with the guy my parents have been trying to get me to meet for the last month. I figured I should get it done with before Thanksgiving since I'll be pestered by the family then. I'm not sure how much he was told about me beforehand but when we met up for lunch, the first thing he asked was "Do you speak mandarin?". Hmm. That didn't bode well so there was a moment pause and then I had to tell him no. We had lunch at tomisushi which apparently is the same chain as sushitomi in Mountain View. He seemed like a nice enough guy though it was clear we didn't have much in common. He grew up in Taiwan and when I asked him what activities he liked to do on the weekend, he talked about his Sundays at church. This I knew about already but looks like he also likes doing music activities with his church so he asked me if I liked music. I wasn't sure how to respond to this because I like music in the general sense but I think he was trying to see if I actively played an instrument or something.

So the good thing about making this a lunch during the week is that I have a perfectly valid excuse to have to rush off afterwards since I couldn't really make it a 2 hr lunch. He wanted to go hang out in the Japanese bookstore nearby (does he not have any work??).

Anyhow, I have done my duty like a good daughter and can report back to my parents now. I can already hear the conversation now: "How is he as a candidate? Is he the one?" Sigh. I'm sooo looking forward to Thanksgiving with the parents.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

ugh, oh dear :)

Anonymous said...

i think he's the one! (i just hope he's not the one reading your blog...) funny post. :)

Anonymous said...

didn't i have lunch with you on friday?