So I was somehow talked into entering a work mixed doubles tennis tournament a month ago by my coworker who really needed a female partner. I kept telling him how much I sucked but he said it would be fine. Then I promptly forgot about it even though I made a mental note that I really should go practice tennis since I hadn't played in a year.
So I came back from nova scotia on monday and checked my work email to discover that they wanted to schedule the first round match on Tuesday! Needless to say, I asked for a day rest since I was not mentally prepared to be tortured yet.
So we played this morning at 9:30am and it was HOT (since we were in mt view). Unfortunately, it was cloudy when I left the house so I didn't bring a hat but at least I had sunglasses. I had also never played with my coworker before so I wasn't sure how good he was. Was hoping he was good so we could recover from all my poor hitting. Miracle of all miracles, we won today! 6-3, 6-3. Yes my coworker is a solid tennis player with a wicked serve. Also he realized that the female player on the other team had a weak backhand so he started hitting it to that side all the time.
So are we only as strong as the weaker player on the team? or is it based on the stronger player? My coworker made some comment later wondering if people win more if they just always hit to the female player on the team. That's just mean.
Anyhow, our next match is next wednesday and this team won their first round 6-0, 6-0. I fear this will be painful. But at least it would also be fast. C said he will try to get me up to speed in the next week to prepare.
No comments:
Post a Comment