Monday, July 27, 2009

I'm not a yelper

So I wrote my first yelp reviews for wedding vendors and it's clear after this experience that I cannot be a reviewer because I'm too easily influenced by how the vendor reacts. Here's what happened. I wrote up a review of my florist giving her 4 stars (out of 5) which is still a good review but I just had comments on how it was my own fault for not consulting/double checking with her right before the wedding because the flowers ended up a little differently than I had thought they would be. But I wrote over and over again that it was my own fault that I ended up surprised and they were still quite beautiful. I also wrote that I liked everything and I highly recommended this florist.

So today, I get an email in my inbox from the florist saying how dismayed she was to see my review and see that I was so disappointed in my flowers. And how this is her livelihood and she slaves away at it 7 days a week. She also said I should have double checked with her before the wedding if I was going to truly be that particular (very true I admit). I frankly didn't think I cared that much before - just that I had thought we talked about something else but since it had been 6 months since our one and only meeting, I really couldn't recall any longer what we had decided. So mostly I was just surprised which is the word I used the most in my review.

So anyways, I felt terrible and icky after reading her response and J suggested I put an update to the review but seeing as how it would take more effort trying to find the right words to update the review, I did the 1 second option of just deleting the damn review. Then I emailed the florist back saying I removed the review and that I didn't mean for it to be so harsh. She then thanked me for doing so and said that in this economy, you can't afford to have a "bad" review. Man, her response annoyed me more than anything now! 4 stars is not a bad review but I didn't want to be the one to influence her business either by being this really picky person. She ended the email by saying that she will be consulting with J next (we used the same florist) and she hopes that J will write her a good review at least. sigh. Now I wonder how much to trust yelp ratings...

C says I just got bullied on yelp, heh. I just don't want to write any more reviews any longer. You want an opinion, ask me in person please.

2 comments:

S said...

Dude, you did get bullied -- honestly that would make me want to drop her down a notch even more.

D said...

unfortunately you did get bullied. As you know I'm in the fighting mood right now so if that happened to me today, that 4 star would be zero and I would put an update that she contacted and tried to influence me. bring it! :)