Sunday, July 10, 2016

Coming home

We're back now and it was a super long journey. First, I have never flown out of Zurich on a Sunday before and it was a mess! Charles couldn't get his boarding pass beforehand for some reason so he had to stand in line and keep trying. Then I had to drop off a bag which took a super long time as well. To make matters worse, Charles and I both had extra security checks of our baggage. We got to the airport around 10:30 but it was already past noon by the time we got to the gate. At least the kids are old hats at going through security lines and walking through airports.

So for the flight, the configuration that worked best for seating was Christopher, me, Hannah, and then Charles. The only problem was that the inflight system wasn't working that well and all our tablets/phones with videos were running low on battery. Also, Hannah's headphones weren't working that well either so the kids were fighting over Christopher's headphones as well. So yeah, we could have planned better here. At one point, I suggested that we try to save battery life by having both kids watch on the tablet together and then I tried to figure out what kid movies I could find on the inflight system (the problem with the inflight system was that every program would play an incorrect other program so I was just systematically going through the list).

When Hannah and Christopher sit together, it's fine for a little while but eventually they will always start fighting. Which unfortunately started happening when Hannah wanted to lay down and put her legs over Christopher's but then I found a movie for christopher to watch so moved him to his original seat which made him completely freak out and start crying. This would all have been okay except that it was the sleeping time for the rest of the flight. Oops. By the time I got Christopher settled with his movie properly in his original seat, Hannah was curled up in her seat crying and upset with me - don't remember why but probably just being cranky. When she is like this, she doesn't want to be talked to and would try to slap me away when I got close to her but her crying and crying was getting louder. I can't recall how I got her to calm down but I think I may have offered her a phone to play with. Then she was fine after that for the rest of the flight though she didn't sleep at all until we were landing.

Christopher fell asleep watching the movie I setup for him for a good 2 hours so that was a good break.

The rest of the 11 hour flight was okay once I got most of the inflight movie system working in some fashion - I ended up watching Jungle Book and Zootopia again despite how sleepy I felt. So yeah I didn't sleep at all on this flight as well and now I will go crash.

Hannah fell asleep at 5pm in the car and was transferred to her bed. We'll see if/when she wakes up tonight

No comments: