Monday, July 04, 2016

Switzerland Day 3: Biking and Views

Playground on bike ride
Today we had a bike tour scheduled. It was just us and an Indian couple visiting from the bay area. One thing that I noticed on this trip was the number of Indian folks visiting. Also a lot of Indian restaurants in the area. Hmm. We were surprised to find that they gave us e-bikes but on principle, I started out refusing to use them. But then I couldn't resist turning it on one click and it was amazing. I quickly turned it off again to not get addicted. Our tour took us to a nice viewpoint with a playground and then to Lake Thun. Both stops made me regret that we didn't just rent bikes on our own. Biking around Interlaken was fairly easy with well signed routes. The kids would have loved to stay longer at a lot of the spots and we could have explored more places. Alas.

I also was reminded of how much I love being on a bike for travelling. It's just not the same viewpoint when you are in a vehicle and everything seems so much more momentous and amazing. Hannah was on a tagalong and Christopher in a trailer. Strava cut out midway but it wasn't a very long bike tour - maybe 8 miles - the guide was going sooo slowly. Another reason to just have rented on our own.


Afterwards we headed up to Harder Kulm which was a vista point overlooking Interlaken. I pushed Hannah a bit on the 5 min walk from the funicular to the viewpoint because the one thing I noticed was that none of the other kids her age were using strollers. And she kept stealing the stroller from Christopher so I got frustrated with her. She in turn was mad at me so it took some time to blow over - she didn't want to talk to me in turn. We talked it out and I felt a little bad about it but she mentioned perhaps just going stroller less tomorrow.

Cow at viewpoint
In any case, we had lunch up there but lunch was not so great but the views did make up for it. mostly.

No comments: