Saturday, April 22, 2006

blind date review

This week, I met up for my blind date with V's guy on monday. I'll just refer to him as google guy. We were meeting at red rock cafe and I walked in not realizing it was open mike night and a coworker was there to perform for it. Luckily it wasn't a coworker I knew real well so I was just able to do the head nod to him and not feel obligated to converse in any fashion. Open mike night apparently brings out a lot of odd folks. The music was bluegrass, jazz, and basically stuff I don't normally listen to. Anyhow, I took a seat and waited for a while since google guy was a little late. So I have to admit that dates stress me out. Blind dates/meeting someone for the first time ever are especially difficult. What is always awkward is the first initial sighting. As I was sitting there, I kept looking at the door everytime someone came in. I didn't really know what this guy looked like so I ended up making eye contact with every person who came in. (I hope they didn't think I was checking them all out).

Google guy finally appeared and sat down at the table with me. Cute, well-dressed and polite. We said our hellos and then I made the awkward transition of trying to make sure we got coffee so that we would have something in our hands to fiddle with during the date. I basically asked him if he wanted coffee and then I sent him up to the counter to order drinks. That felt really weird because now I was sitting alone at the table and I felt bad since there was a line at the counter. It felt awkward enough that I left the table to go stand in line with him. I didn't want to seem like the kind of girl that expects the guy to do everything but it was sort of a logistical problem I couldn't figure out. Also it assumed that he would buy my coffee but I figured he could afford $2.

Anyhow, after that kind of awkward start, we tried to chit/chat through the occassional loud bouts of music. It was totally fine until we ran out of things to talk about about an hour in. But I could also just blame it on fatigue as well. We were both kind of tired. He did walk me to my car afterwards and gave me a hug. No mention of meeting up again soon though but I did learn a new google feature for yellow pages lookup. Texting "GOOGL" with the name of the business and zip code gives you address and phone number info. That knowledge alone was worth everything.

No comments: