Sunday, January 30, 2011

shopping and gadgets

So I know the baby industry is there to rip you off just like the wedding industry so lots of people give me miscellaneous advice which I have been listening to so far. But I don't think they understand that I really do just like to shop so money saving advice doesn't always make a difference...

As you may know, sleeping gets harder when you are pregnant. The massage therapist at work suggested that I just buy cheap pillows at target and use them all around me instead of spending money on a Snoogle or a Boppy. Well I ignored her advice and first got the Boppy and once I was having a little more trouble sleeping, I upgraded to the Snoogle. which I love. I no longer toss and turn at night trying to get comfortable - mostly because I'm wrapped in it and frankly, it's kind of hard to move around once I'm settled in. Knowing me, trying to get the same setup with several pillows would just result in a pile of pillows on the ground in the morning.

People have told me we don't need a baby monitor. But we were at S's house and they had the audio/visual monitor and I was just fascinated watching the screen the whole time. We have webcams on all our pets so why would we not have one on our baby as well...

The same massage therapist at work told me to not get a stroller right away and said they didn't get a stroller until 10 months after the baby came. I can see that it would be a pain to always have to move the carseat into a stroller etc but strollers seem awesome! Think of all that massive shopping basket at the bottom which would be perfect for farmer's markets. I should just get a stroller without even having a baby in it.

Of course, now I'm not quite sure where to store all these things. Hmm. Maybe we need to get rid of our own excessive amount of gear - did I ever mention that we have 10 bikes?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

really? no stroller? Uh, what if your baby hates being worn, like ours did? BTW, this is not an invalid use of n = 1. Rather, I am showing that the statement "There exists a baby (x) such that ~x(bjorn) AND ~x(moby) AND ~x(snuglee) AND ~x(Ergo)" evaluates to TRUE. This existence proof invalidates the certainty of the claim that you could go without a stroller for 10 months. - uk

S said...

OK, I have no experience with the Snoogle but really, no stroller? And no monitor? Is she on crack? As you know, I LOVE our (2) monitors. I suppose in theory you could get by (you know, say you lived in a one room apartment or something like that), but it'd be a tough life. And our kid liked being worn for a while, but she got heavy pretty quickly and she's nowhere close to 10 months yet. I think that the general rule of thumb is to keep buying until every room in your house has at least one large baby-related item in it.