Wednesday, August 02, 2006

nixing the car

I don't know how this came about but I had been thinking I should occasionally bike to work but really I was too lazy to get around to doing it. I finally realized that I could get around this laziness by biking to work and then taking light rail or caltrain back since it's really the ride back that I dread. I got a monthly caltrain pass for august for free from work and decided to even expand my goal to see if I can get through august without driving.

It's only day 2 but yesterday I walked 3 miles to lightrail from my house and then took a 40 minute ride to work (stop is right outside my building). After work, I took the commuter shuttle from the office to the caltrain station. Light rail and the shuttle/caltrain combination take about the same amount of time but the latter is not as motion sickness inducing. Today sets the daily pattern - I biked the 15 miles using a combination of Shoreline/central expwy and a super duper new bike trail that goes under 101. A slightly longer distance but way nicer.

So if the first question I ask you if you invite me to anything in the month of august is "Can I get a ride? or can I bike there?", now you will know why.

No comments: