Wednesday, February 01, 2006

so much powder eh?

Everyone is properly bored of my endless blogging about snow but too bad. This last weekend, D and I joined S's annual whistler ski trip. Last year when my sister and I went, it was the worse snow in 6 years but this year, it was completely the opposite. There were 8 people total and coincidentally enough, one of the girls in the group was someone who lived in Lantana my senior year. Small world. The first day, I signed up for a ski supergroup lesson (guaranteed 3 people max in the lesson) which turned into a private lesson. That was really nice but exhausting due to all the lumps of powder on the mountain. Turning in powder is so much work! D spent the day skiing with the guys and was completely exhausted since they are crazy snowboarders who took her down scary blacks.

On sunday, she sought refuge with me and T from Lantana and we took some easy greens and blues on blackcombe mountain. Then the guys convinced us to go up to the very top of the mountain where they said the blues would be fun. That was a complete mistake. There was zero visibility and you could barely see the trail - D headed straight to the lodge and I followed her but since T was on a snowboard, I tried waiting for her but it was too cold to wait. I met up with D at the lodge and then we spent a very tense hour waiting for T to come down. Foolish us had forgotten to bring walkie talkies and we were worried she had fallen off the trail (of course it was all powder off the trail so it theoretically wouldn't hurt). We finally got a hold of T with a borrowed walkie talkie and discovered that she had indeed fallen off the trail and gotten completely lost on some blue. That would have been fine but then she fell into a ditch and couldn't get out. I guess at that point she was in such a state that she just wanted ski patrol to come take her off the mountain. eek. D and I were relieved to get ahold of her because the last time D waited this long for a friend on the mountain, she saw her friend coming down in the ski patrol sled so we were totally thinking the worst.

anyhow, I'm back and completely tired. I have two days to accomplish a crapload of work. eek

1 comment:

JD said...

Ditch work and go up on Thursday!