Saturday, September 03, 2005

travelling again

So i'm going to mark this blog in the past because I had thoughts from then but no computer access (or so i thought - I should have really tried connecting with my laptop earlier). Anyhow, after 2 weeks of really frenetic work and throwing in a busy weekend in between there, I hopped on a plane from SFO to anchorage. I was meeting M from seattle and S from boston in anchorage. First thought: I really really should have just packed my ski clothes and more fleece. It was all a bit chillier than I expected. Weather is in the 40's and 50's but the rain and wind factor made it a bit more uncomfortable. Gloves and a ski hat would have really helped. alas.

Sat morning, we headed to this "luxury" resort which is supposedly a great ski area during the winter - unfortunately no snow yet though all the pictures of snow made me very excited abbout the upcoming ski season. The interesting thing about luxury resorts is that they nickel and dime you for everything that was free at a cheaper hotel like the ramada. I guess they figure you won't care about the extra charges. hrm.

Summary of our itinerary on the kenai peninsula:

Watched the salmon spawning on the russian river falls. Very cool to see - they would flop in the air and some would just die on the rocks.

Hiked the harding icefield trail next to exit glacier in Seward - was pouring rain so scaling the rocks was a bit scary but we almost made it to the top. I didn't know what to expect at the top but i saw pictures later so if I had known about the amazing icefield, maybe we would have continued despite the wind and rain.

Took a boat cruise in resurrection bay in seward - this put me to sleep due to seasickness and it was raining outside too. We even took the shortest one possible (half day) which was still a full 4 hours.

Kayaked on Kenai Lake - the weather was horrible headed out but it mostly cleared up when we were kayaking and once you're wet when kayaking, more rain doesn't really matter.

Summary for now, will update a little later

No comments: