Saturday, July 01, 2017

Munich (pre bike tour)

We decided to do our second bike tour with Blue Marble this year once I suddenly saw the Dolomites appear as a trip over the 4th of July week. I had actually already booked a week in Maine but was able to cancel right away.

The first challenge was figuring where to fly into for our pre journey. I settled on Munich because Charles was interested in the bmw museum and it had nonstop flights from SFO which were super critical.

Wed night:
Flight on Lufthansa. Lufthansa honors TSAPre which resulted in 0 people in line. It was amazing. Our flight was at 9pm and all I really remember was that Christopher's in flight entertainment didn't really work so he ended up watching on my screen and I had to keep watching lego batman over and over. Christopher actually fell asleep before the food arrived.

Thurs:
So we brought our own bikes which meant we had to pack carefully. Charles moved the 2 big bike bags but also had his own backpack. As a result he had to get also bring a portable wheelie thing to help move the awkward bike bags. We also had two roller bags to move: one for us and one for the kids. We took the train in from the airport to the station where I rented our airbnb but I didn't realize our station didn't have an elevator which wouldn't bode well for when we had to take the bicycles down later... The first night we were there, I ran out to pick up pizza for dinner and got the kids asleep in our 2 bedroom airbnb.

But I myself had a hard time falling asleep and by the time I slept for an hour, Christopher woke me up saying he was starving. He of course then woke up Hannah too and I scrounged around looking for something for him to eat. Then it took forever to get him back to sleep. Note: this is really the first trip where any kid has had big jetlag like this. I know we have been lucky but man it sucked. It only lasted 2-3 more nights and it did seem to center around food. So either I have to make sure to bring more snacks or something.

Fri:
We grabbed breakfast at local brunch place nearby and then we went to the Deutches museum which was within walking distance. It had some interesting exhibits (a small children's area) and was pretty big. In the afternoon, we rushed over to see the clocktower and after it was over, we went to a biergarten for dinner. This biergarten actually had a little playroom nearby which the kids explored for a bit which was handy.

Sat:
We took the train and walked over to the BMW museum. This jaunt was mostly for Charles but the cars were really nice to look at and so the rest of us appreciated it as well. We grabbed lunch at the cafe there and on the way back, we detoured to the English Garden which was a massive 900 acre park. There were amazing sites and paths which made me wish we had our bikes but we found a playground for the kids and ice cream and sat down to rest a little. The kids told me later that they didn't understand what the other kids spoke at the playground and one parent asked them where they were from. After the playground, we walked south to check out the river surfers at the edge of the park. It was actually a super cool site.

No comments: