Tuesday, July 04, 2017

Dolomites bike tour Day 3: Brunico to Fortezza







We were leaving Brunico this time but this time we didn't get on a train and directly biked out. I managed to convince Charles to tow both kids because my knee was in agony. I taped it up and took ibuprofen and hoped for the best. The route today was the hilliest day so far. Sitting and climbing was definitely painful so all the hills I would stand and climb which seemed to help.


With the hills, I sometimes told the kids to get off and it was easier for charles to just bike the gear up and have the kids walk up themselves. Luckily a lot of the hills were in shady areas.



We left pretty late today so most of the other families were way ahead of us but we all ended up at the same square in Muhlbach where we had lunch (and gelato of couse!)

Unfortunately, after lunch there was a pretty steep descent. I went down first and charles gingerly went down trying to break and his train caravan of tagalong/trailer all came crashing down. Both Hannah and Charles got scraped up and Hannah was screaming her head off. Christopher was perfectly safe in the trailer though. It was super scary though. We should probably have had the kids come off and walk downhill.

We only had a little more distance to go before we caught the train at Fortezza but we were pretty tired and it was really hot by this point. As we were coing into Fortezza, I looked back to realize that Charles and the kids were no where to be seen. I double backed to see where they were and found Charles on the side of the road doing some wheel repair.

As we were rolling into town, Nicolas came up behind us and we got on the train to Merano. One thing to note was that for these trains, they usually wanted us to leave the child equipment at the train for the shuttle to drive to our destination since a lot of the trains wouldn't allow all this extra equipment. They actually wanted us to leave our bikes too but Charles wanted them with us so we always had to buy bike tickets for those.


Once we got to Merano, the kids and I got on a bus to get to the hotel while Charles walked the bikes to the destination. Our hotel was the Hotel Aurora where they put our bikes in the basement area but our rooms were pretty cool. There was a main outer door and a short hallway that went to 2 more rooms so it was sort of like adjoining rooms! Also it was right on the river and across the river was the Terme Merano.

It was an independent night for dinner but we just ate at the hotel. We played cards and taught Hannah blackjack. After dinner, we felt super thirsty but most of the stores were closed. There was a lot going on in the area though. We found a playground and there was even minigolf setup for kids.






No comments: