Sunday, August 05, 2007

sprinting or lack thereof

So on saturday, C and I went up to sacramento to do a Tri for Fun - .5 mile swim, 16 mile bike and 5k run. C doesn't quite survive in open water so he opted to do the duathlon (Run-Bike-Run). On the drive up, we stopped at Sonic burger in Tracy and it was a gazillion degrees at 8pm still. Ouch. This did not bode well for our tri in Sac. We loaded up on burgers and shakes. I'm a big fan of their shake/ice cream things. Sooo good.

So sat morning, we headed out early to the race site. So IwovS had mentioned the night before that he heard there was a nuclear power plant near our race course. Lo and behold, we saw the simpsons like power plant right next to the park.



Um yah, so that was the warmest lake water I've ever swam in. It felt like a normal pool. I am trying not to think about why it was so warm or if there were 3 eyed fish in there. Anyhow, I was trying to complete the tri under 2 hours but I just checked my time and I failed. boo. 2:04. I failed to remember exactly how long each section was but this was my estimate:

Swim: 19 mins
Transition 1: 3 mins (I was kind of dazed and confused)
Bike: 58 mins
Transition 2: 2 mins
Run: 42 mins

I'm a slow transitioner it looks like. I walked almost all of the run actually since it was brutally hot and hilly but I did try to run all the downhills. My normal 5k run time is really slow (around 36 minutes) so clearly I'm not going much faster than my normal walking speed. What I should really work on is speed walking! Easier on the joints all around.

2 comments:

DrYuen2005 said...

dude...it's the central valley. you're lucky if the temperature is below 85F at midnight! most days in bakersfield, the temperature of pool water is >90F. sitting in the tub is preferred.

Anonymous said...

Info about Rancho Seco:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rancho_Seco