Friday, June 29, 2007

parking lot antics

So thursday morning, I decided to go to OSH and pick up some sprinkler things to work on my yard later. When I got there, I saw an open parking spot close to the front and happily drove into it. Little did I know that would be the parking spot of doom.

I come out after shopping to find a cluster of 3 people in front of my car. I was confused at first what was going on. The older chinese lady was arguing with this other guy about something. When they saw me open my car door, the lady immediately turned to me and said "is this your car?" When I replied in the affirmative, she immediately pounced and said "you hit my car!". WTF. I was so bewildered. Her proof was this scratch mark on the right side of my car that she said indicated that I was the cause of the scrape on the left side of her car. I responded with "oh, that's a scratch from a year ago when I hit a bollard. I didn't hit your car". Of course now I had enough self doubt that I started thinking "did I hit her car and not notice?" But I could only have hit her turning into my parking spot so I would have had to hit the back of her car instead of the side of her car which is where her scratch was so it was impossible.

So apparently she had been trying to make this other random dude in the parking lot be her witness and he was trying to reason with her that there was nothing he could do when no one saw anything. He finally walked away in disgust and left me with her. Lovely. So she started confronting me and saying "your scratch is just like my scratch. It must be you. Aren't you a good person? Why don't you tell the truth!". Ugh, it continued like this for a while with her ranting at me and she even made some comment like "you drive a volvo - you must be rich. why do you not have any care for my toyota". There was no reasoning with this lady whatsoever.

You know, if I really wanted to hide the fact that I hit her car, I really wouldn't have left my car parked so nicely next to her. I would have driven to the other side of the parking lot. Heh.

She ended up calling the police which in retrospect was a good thing since it made me feel like I was being listened to and wasn't going crazy at least. He heard both sides of the story and then came to inspect the cars. His first comment was "look, there is dust all over the scratch" on my car to indicate that my scratch wasn't new. (Good thing i didn't make it to the carwash this week!) But of course she was stuck in this mindset so immediately responded with "oh that is dust from my car going to her car". Then he also commented that my scratch was white colored like i hit a white object and that if I had hit her car then i would have hit further back. I felt so validated by those comments but of course she somehow interpreted all these comments in her favor. She kept asking the officer "you agree with me right? right?". He demurred saying he agreed with both of us. Maybe he was also scared of her.

Anyhow, looks like she did report this to my insurance. Let the battle begin. And maybe i should clean up the scratches on my car in the future...

Oh I took pictures too and pictures never lie:

photos

1 comment:

Alan said...

Contact your insurance company and explain that you're worried about this other lady making things up. For all you know, she's trying to conduct insurance fraud by getting her own damage repaired at your expense. She may even have targeted you since you had pre-existing damage. Your insurance company will vouch for you, since they want to keep you as a customer and don't like to pay out fraudulent claims.