Sunday, April 21, 2019

Sedona spring break

Back from Sedona and trying to recap the trip while it is still fresh. The trip there was uneventful but we didn't get there until 10pm. We were mostly able to settle the kids from sleeping in the car to going to sleep at the house when we got there though I think they lost about an hour where they got all excited by the bunk bed room they were in.
Fay canyon trail
The house we rented had an amazing lot (4 acres) complete with a creek and trampoline. John/Madeleine and their friends Sarah/Lucas were already there and settled in.

The next day, the guys went to rent bikes and we decided to head out to around the same area to try and overlap a bit. We ended up at the Fay Canyon trail which had pretty easy parking. My kids were
pretty boastful saying they wanted a more challenging trail since this was probably only 2 miles round trip. Unfortunately, the backpack wasn't fitting Madz that well so she was in a lot of pain and uncomfortable. It was pretty busy on this trail and I saw a lot of kids. I kept waiting for something really momentous on this trail though because I remember the trailbook saying this was one of the top family friendly hikes. But then we got to the end which went up a pile of rocks. The kids and I went up while Madz stayed at the bottom and Sarah came up partway. It wasn't a terribly bad scramble but I was definitely nervous at the top when the kids would walk near the edges of cliffs. The top had a pretty nice view though.
Montezuma Castle

Due to the pain Madz was in from hiking, I suggested we visit Montezuma Castle since I had a picture from when I was a kid and I had always wondered where it was. It had a great ranger program and the kids did the junior ranger activity. Afterwards we checked out Montezuma well which I liked even better than the Castle area since it had more ruins and sights to see. There was a little loop trail as well.

Checking out the irrigation from the well.



On the last day, I suggested to M that she have John checkout the hiking carrier and turned out it just wasn't adjusted to her at all. We were able to then do the little horse trail which was around 4 miles.


The weather was cooler on Saturday which really helped make this more doable. Chicken point was easy to access compared to other scrambles I saw and the views were well worth it.

Up to chicken point



1 comment:

Charles said...

That "white line" above the photo of Christopher is where some mountain bikers try to ride and not plunge to their deaths....