So I had been trying to plan a trip to Belize but it looked too difficult for the kids at their current ages so I instead decided to try and plan a trip to Costa Rica. I was super excited to find a flight on Southwest via LAX because the last time I went to Costa Rica, it involved 24 hours of straight travel via Miami. This flight actually went to a small airport near the west coast of Costa Rica which was perfect for our needs.
On the day of the flight, we discovered that our flight was 2 hours delayed giving us only 30 minutes to connect in LAX but the airline didn't seem concerned telling us that there was no worry about making the connection. This did turn out to be true but also meant we couldn't get lunch as planned in LAX so I just had a bunch of snacks with me because Southwest doesn't have food. But my worst fear happened when we hopped onto the plane in LAX since they told us to try and find seats but only single seats were left. I found a seat for Charles and Christopher close to each other but then had a hard time finding a seat for Hannah. One guy refused to let her sit next to him saying he didn't want to be responsible for a child. I really didn't know what to do and the flight attendants made a plea asking for someone to help us.
Luckily some nice people cleared out a row for us and I was even able to get Christopher into our row which turned out well because the flight was almost 5 hours so it would have been hard for him to be on his own.
That night we stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn near the airport (got upgraded to a 1 bedroom suite!) and then went and got our car the next morning. The car took a while to figure out due to the crazy insurance requirements and policies they asked us for but we got on our way to Arenal.
Ah, the roads of Costa Rica. The main tourist road was paved but Google Maps took us on a shortcut before I realized and the end of the short cut was a scary ass very steep downhill dirt road with potholes. I seriously was afraid we would die and almost had a heart attack. Then the road to our hotel was very gravelly and hard to drive as well. Luckily our 2 bedroom villa was humongous and had our own personal pool. Not sure if the trouble of the road was worth that but the kitchen and view was nice. And I do have to say having our own personal pool meant the kids could swim every day and we could just sit there and relax.
On the day of the flight, we discovered that our flight was 2 hours delayed giving us only 30 minutes to connect in LAX but the airline didn't seem concerned telling us that there was no worry about making the connection. This did turn out to be true but also meant we couldn't get lunch as planned in LAX so I just had a bunch of snacks with me because Southwest doesn't have food. But my worst fear happened when we hopped onto the plane in LAX since they told us to try and find seats but only single seats were left. I found a seat for Charles and Christopher close to each other but then had a hard time finding a seat for Hannah. One guy refused to let her sit next to him saying he didn't want to be responsible for a child. I really didn't know what to do and the flight attendants made a plea asking for someone to help us.
Luckily some nice people cleared out a row for us and I was even able to get Christopher into our row which turned out well because the flight was almost 5 hours so it would have been hard for him to be on his own.
That night we stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn near the airport (got upgraded to a 1 bedroom suite!) and then went and got our car the next morning. The car took a while to figure out due to the crazy insurance requirements and policies they asked us for but we got on our way to Arenal.
Ah, the roads of Costa Rica. The main tourist road was paved but Google Maps took us on a shortcut before I realized and the end of the short cut was a scary ass very steep downhill dirt road with potholes. I seriously was afraid we would die and almost had a heart attack. Then the road to our hotel was very gravelly and hard to drive as well. Luckily our 2 bedroom villa was humongous and had our own personal pool. Not sure if the trouble of the road was worth that but the kitchen and view was nice. And I do have to say having our own personal pool meant the kids could swim every day and we could just sit there and relax.
![]() |
| View from villa |

No comments:
Post a Comment