My manager left on Monday and so today was my first day of being manager-less (I guess I technically still have one but it's one level up and kind of remote). I started getting an idea of how things would be when I got scheduled into a planning meeting on Monday and then got emails asking when such and such feature would be done and who would be working on it. Hrm, will I be the de facto manager? I don't want this job. gah.
A lot of old timers have left to go do their own thing and work on exciting startups. People ask me if I will go do the same thing and I always say "No, I plan to have a baby at some point. I think that would be too hard with a startup". A thread has been going on on this women's list I'm on at work where someone is wondering if she should change projects when she is thinking about getting pregnant soon. Someone posted this link saying she should go for it. But now the discussion has changed where most folks are saying it's extremely hard to be on a new project working the same hours as before. I'm on that side of the fence. I feel like I'm barely keeping up with the amount of work I have sometimes but it is also comfortable work since I know exactly how to solve issues. So maybe I'm just lazy now or I just like work-life balance and have no ambition.
In any case, changes are afoot at work since they are also reorganizing my division and looks like I'm going to be working at the mothership location full-time soon. No more long commutes at least! So my car will be getting a rest finally but change is always a little scary. We'll see where this new direction takes us.
No comments:
Post a Comment