Anyhow, as I was sitting there in the chair across from C, I made some comment about how I got timed last time I donated as to how long it took for me to fill a pint. The nurse then said that they are actually required to time because the longest they can try to get blood from you is 15 minutes for fear of clots. Of course, next thing I realize is that all the nurses were then crowded around C trying to figure out why his blood wasn't coming out fast enough and poking and prodding at him. So yes, he became that one of the few who fail to fill the pint within the allocated time. And of course that convinced him he should never try to donate again. Alas.
Saturday we did the donut bike ride with L/B and MM. DL also showed up but was too lazy to bike so just drove to the donut shops. We first hit Stan's in santa clara where we were rewarded with fresh hot donuts which we were devoured in seconds (thanks D!). So good. I made the mistake of also getting another chocolate cake donut when I really should have just stuck with the hot glazed ones which were fresh. Feeling a bit fuller, we headed off to Psycho donuts in Campbell where everything was just a little extreme. The display was full of strange and super rich concoctions. It was really hard to choose. L/B went with noses and ears which looked like cream filled small donut balls. C let me choose (which is where we went wrong) and I picked something that I thought was a chocolate covered donut without paying attention to the name. The name was Feng Shui. At the time I thought it was kind of weird name but didn't think twice of it. Once we brought it back over, I realized it was green frosting and so it must be green tea. It ... was not so good. Urgh. The other donut choices people made seemed much better so I just chose poorly.

At this point, I was pretty full of donuts and basically didn't want to eat another donut for a very long time so we skipped the third shop and headed home. We took a different route through cupertino than normal so that we would experience the cool (and overly expensive) bike bridge over 280. I took a picture while biking and almost crashed into the bollards. oops. Overall the ride was 25 miles (all flat) - I'm hoping it burned off 1 donut maybe.

To continue the theme of overeating, C took me to Thanh Long for dinner. He had originally booked Michael Mina but I looked at the menu and told him that fancy food is kind of wasted on me and I would rather have crab and garlic noodles. So off we went to the outer sunset and split 1 crab, garlic noodles, and shrimp curry between us. We gobbled down the food so fast that I wouldn't have been surprised if we ended up licking the plates at the end. Service was extremely speedy and the food was sooo good. Of course we had to have dessert and for some reason, C said we should each get our own. So I got the fried ice cream and he got banana cake. When they appeared, we realized we were way overambitious. More gorging continued. We did manage to finish both but were barely able to roll ourselves back to the car.
So yes, birthday weekend was good. Now I must recover from all this food.
No comments:
Post a Comment