Thursday, September 13, 2007

chaotic wedding

So we headed down to LA last weekend for my cousin Jessica's wedding where I was in the bridal party but had no instructions about how to help or whatever. After doing some setup stuff like putting up balloons and moving a table around, I was still pondering when this ceremony would start since it was already 11 but yet no instructions still. Finally the bride came down and we asked her how she wanted us to enter and she said she wanted us lined up with the groomsmen by height. The hotel coordinator person immediately said "well the maid of honor needs to be last" - luckily she was the tallest girl so she was in the right spot. I entered first with the groomsman who was also the officiator of the ceremony and took my place in the front. All the other bridesmaids who followed all tried to stand to my right and I had to correct them all. Clearly they hadn't been to weddings before. Heh. Oddly enough, the music didn't change when the bride appeared so at first no one stood and then one person did so the rest of the room did. I don't think the maid of honor knew what her duties were because my cousin's long train needed to be adjusted and she didn't do anything but luckily the bridesmaid in the middle got up and moved it.

Ok, so remember the wedding ceremony that Joey performed in Friends for monica and chandler? That was basically the speech the officiator gave. I tried finding the text of it online but couldn't but I do remember thinking mid speech , "i wonder why this guy is repeating himself so much." And yes it was the most efficient wedding ceremony ever. Two and a half minutes later, the bride and groom kissed and walked down the aisle. The room was all a bit taken aback I think. No wonder we didn't have to start on time...

One thing I did learn about good wedding toasts was to just give personal stories about the bride and groom. It really is painful to see someone trying to crack jokes and get a silent room back. We want personal toasts!

Only two more weddings to go this year.

No comments: