Wednesday, June 08, 2005

cycling news

So I did a 60K (about 38 miles) ride last Sunday and it was considered the easy route (the other options were a 100K, 100 mile, 200K). The route started at the VA hospital in Palo Alto and went up stevens creek rd (past the reservoir - I swam that once!) and up Mt Eden. The ascent up Mt Eden was 2 miles of pain but it wasn't nearly as scary as the descent down that mountain. I seriously thought I was about to crash at times because of how I felt my center of balance was. Ended up cycling past J's parent's house in Saratoga but overall was a pretty ok ride. I felt motivated enough to think about doing longer rides in the future. The only concern I had was that my feet started going numb around mile 34 so I'll need to figure that out. Perhaps too much downward pressure all centered around the ball of the feet.

So one thing I learned a while back from someone was that you're not suppposed to wear underwear under cycling shorts. So now when you stare at the cyclists and wonder why they don't have panty lines, now you know. But now I have heard that you are not supposed to wear underwear with your running shorts as well and I'm shocked - what next? Will we be told not to wear a swimming suit under swimming wetsuits? Actually I wouldn't be terribly shocked by that idea. I guess we're all just meant to go commando.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

underwear under running shorts = sweaty discomfort