Saturday, May 01, 2021

Steep Ravine Camping

This was attempt #2 for Steep Ravine as last year's reservation got cancelled in the mass shutdown of Spring 2020. It is much easier to book a campsite than a cabin and we rolled in around Friday evening to gusty winds. Just the drive down the road to the campground was spectacular.

Campsites from above

I had booked adjacent campsites 2 and 3 which made for a nice large shared campsite.

Site 3 (Site 2 was to the left)


There was a viewpoint and another picnic table near Site 2 which seemed a little odd (I later discovered a trail that headed over there). The wind was already pretty brisk and we got everything setup quickly. But it was coooold So cold that Charles and the kids all went into the tent while we waited for Lawrence's family who got in a bit later. We did manage to come out and hangout by the fire for a little bit that night hough.

Saturday, the next day

I really wanted to do the steep ravine hike but didn't realize how far away we were to the trailhead. Charles was super skeptical we could tag on the 1 mile uphill to the trailhead but the thought of driving a car on a hike just didn't feel right. So we just started walking. This turned out to be the longest hike the kids had ever done at around 8.5 miles!


I hadn't done this hike since my early 20's ages ago and I had forgotten how nice and shady it was. Some highlights:



Once we were back at our campsite, the wind was also back with a vengeance. While everyone rested and hid in tents accordingly, I still felt like exploring and poached Evelyn to go explore a a cove that I saw on the map. It was pretty sheltered by wind and pretty fun. Lawrence and I went back there after dinner with the rest of the kids though Christopher was super nervous about the thought of rip tides and tsunamis and really wanted to go back so I sent him back early. It was nice to find some place to escape from the wind for sure.

We learned that this area wasn't windy in the mornings so on Sunday, we decided to spend the morning on the beach at Steep Ravine after we packed up our site. Was super peaceful and pretty empty. A massive beach almost to ourselves



 


No comments: