Tuesday, January 05, 2021

New Year, New Fitness Resolutions

Started a 1000 jump rope challenge a day to see if I can maintain and if it changes anything. But the real challenge I am interested in is seeing if I can ever do the splits. There are a lot of YouTube videos out there claiming you can learn how to do the splits in 30 days but have always been not very flexible in the hamstrings so I am doubtful. I'm making Hannah do this challenge with me so here are our Day 1 split levels:

Right Leg Front

Left Leg Front

Left Leg front

Right Leg Front

We did the Anna McNulty video today but it was a little too advanced for us so will try something else next.

I found this science video explaining splits to be super helpful that explains what needs to be stretched. It comes down to hamstring flexibility in the front leg and the groin/hip area for the back leg. This explains why I can go down lower in my right leg forward front split. I am very inflexible in my left leg. He actually recommends only doing 3 stretches a day to focus on those areas.

No comments: