Sunday, December 01, 2019

Japan: Going Home

Our last day in Japan was all travel. We caught the 10:30 am train to Tokyo from the Kyoto main station. I had learned my lesson and we took a taxi and the taxi even delivered us to the shinkansen entrance. The bento box selections here were not as good as Tokyo main station but Charles found these katsu sandwiches. Along the way, we were even able to see Mt Fuji in the distance.
Mt Fuji in the far distance
We connected in the Shinagawa train station. When we bought these tickets, the ticket person had suggested from here we could make 1 extra connection so our entire journey to the Haneda airport was free on JR lines but I just wanted the simplest and fastest way to the airport so we got off and just transferred onto the direct train to the airport. When we got to the airport, we were looking forward to shopping and eating but then we made the mistake of going through security immediately. From my last trip to Haneda, I remember tons of good shopping and eateries but turned out it was all pre-security! Charles was flying business and wanted to go to the JAL lounge. I actually also could go due to my status in but could only bring in 1 guest. We compromised by having him go to the lounge while I walked the kids to the gate. The kids and I did a little shopping on the way and then I found this play area near our gate which they went crazy at. Turned out it was intended for kids 5 and under so I kept telling them to play gently since there were toddlers nearby.

Airport play area
Then Charles came out of the lounge and I sprinted over to the lounge and had the fastest bowl of Chashu ramen I have ever consumed in my life. I also needed to spend the remaining few dollars on the kids suica cards so tried to looking for vending machines around. Unfortunately, I didn't realize there was one right at our gate and by the time we walked over to our gate, we had started the boarding process. I sent Hannah over to try and she couldn't get the vending machine to work. The gate attendant actually even went over and tried to help her! I was shocked.

This was a somewhat difficult flight to sleep on since it was at 5pm and we would be arriving in the early morning on Sunday. I tried to get the kids to sleep but they had a difficult time and probably only got an hour or two. I was mostly a wreck on Sunday and just took naps periodically all day. Sasha was beyond overjoyed to see us and Hannah immediately tortured her with the pokemon hat that she got from a vending machine.


No comments: