Saturday, September 29, 2018

Angel Island

I had wanted to camp Angel Island in the longest time so I woke up early in order to snag a spot. I purposely targeted the East bay sites because I knew the ones on the ridge side were impossible to get get. I managed to get sites #1 and #3. I had read online that Site 1 would be pretty big but I wasn't sure how far site 3 was.
Steep gravel uphill
This was bike camping and we had the kids on their own bikes and planned to tow our gear in the chariot. As I was packing up the chariot, charles told me to make sure to bring the part for his bike but I didn't realize there was also an arm that wasn't attached so when we arrived in Tiburon, it was with great shock that we realized we were missing it.

I spent some time calling around bike stores to see if they rented chariots and we thought about borrowing/buying a part but in the end, Kevin and christina helped us while charles pulled the chariot, they pushed his bike.

The journey to the East Bay sites was a little harder than expected. We did a lot more walking than anticipated.

On the way to Site 1, we passed site 3 which was small and slopy. Then we saw the group at 2 which was also where the water spout and primitive toilet were. Site 1 was at the end of the path and was big and private with a nice view at the picnic table.

Site 1




For dinner, we were super impressed with how much gear and food Stan/Rose brought. They had a full pot and made a real dinner whereas we had dried goods. They even brought toys for the kids!

The next day, since Stan and Rose had a wagon we decided to try and tie it together in a train and see if that was easier. It was marginally so but Charles and Stan still had to work together...

Cargo train




No comments: