Saturday, April 02, 2016

First annual Moms/Kids trip

So Sangeetha and I were chatting a while back in the fall of 2015 bemoaning how we wanted to take more vacations and how our husbands didn't have that much time off. Then the light bulb went off and we came up with the idea of going on a trip together with the kids. We actually independently both came up with San Diego with ideas of going to Legoland, hitting the zoos, and exploring the beach. But here is the embarrassing thing, we both realized we didn't really know how to install carseats that confidently. So it meant we would have to drive to San Diego. So I started coming up with this plan where we would rent or borrow my parent's minivan because you know, in our sleep deprived states, it probably wouldn't be safe for us to drive alone. I mean we're not really alone because the kids would be in the car but if my kids fell asleep then I would get sleepy... which wouldn't be good.

But Sangeetha didn't think she could leave her littlest baby for a whole week in San Diego so I started hunting for something closer and at first I was looking at Pismo Beach where I have visited before but then I hit upon this little gem of a town: Avila Beach which was known for having a kid friendly beach.

There weren't that many housing options but I hit upon an awesome condo just a block from the beach. Then coincidentally a week before the trip, I found out Michele and her friend Nancy were also going to Avila Beach on their own moms without husbands trip! How funny. We tried to meet up a few times but somehow our schedules were just off.

Arrival Day:

I left in the morning to stop by the SLO Children's Museum (For some reason Hannah saw the Mcdonald's golden arches and kept calling it Farmer's Market. Eh? No idea.) My kids breezed through that place within an hour and a half but did enjoy it. Luckily we got a discount due to our membership at KidZone. I sort of forgot to feed the kids lunch but got them a bite at Whole Foods

Day 1:

Took the kids out on the bike trail on their own bikes. It was a bit of a disaster because we had to cross Avila Beach Drive and Hannah couldn't run across the street fast enough so it was stressful. Hannah happily rode her bike on the trail but I couldn't get Christopher to go so we ended up walking behind her. It was a really nice trail with a cool bridge but we hit a hill that Hannah said she couldn't bike up it so we turned around.



Afterwards, we joined Sangeetha and her brood at the beach. The kids loooved the beach so much. The waves were super gentle and I could actually even sit back and relax. We went back to the condo for lunch and Christopher actually asked to take a nap (so out of character). I was even able to put him down and walk away which was nice. And later I was able to take a nap as well. In the evening, we checked out the playground just the next block over which was super fun as well.

Day 2:

The next morning we hit the Avila Valley Barn and bought some vegetables to feed the goats. These goats were picky man which I guess they could be since they got fed vegetables ALL DAY. One ice cream, hay ride later with a side of lunch and we were ready to go back. But then Michele and her crew showed up so we lingered a bit to overlap before heading back. But this time I failed to get my kids to nap AT ALL so I gave up and took them to the Central Coast Aquarium which .. was just around the block ( Did I mention how much I loved our location??). This place was dinky! and expensive for being dinky BUT as a result of being so small, the kids were able to watch the demonstrations up close and touch some sharks so we ended up being there longer than I would have expected. Afterwards we hit up the great pirate playground again and then found ourselves on the beach. But this time the really cool Farmer's Market was going on right next to the beach and Sangeetha and her brood joined us. Then we had a dilemma because we needed to deal with dinner but the thought of trying to get the kids to eat on a sandy beach seemed difficult. Plus remember my kids hadn't napped at all that day so the thought of an early bedtime just seemed so tempting. So we dragged the kids away from the beach with bribery of a movie (I know I know! What were we thinking?). Of course by the time we were back at the condo, Michele texted saying they were having dinner on the beach and enjoying the Farmer's market. Agh, that could have been better planned out. sigh.
But, my kids were down by 8:30 which is a freaking miracle and I enjoyed some quiet time.

All in all, it was a fabulous trip and well worth it. It was not as bad as I thought it would be. Sangeetha may have different feelings but I look forward to the second annual Moms/Kids trip! And the dads look forward to it as well... for completely different reasons. HAH.

No comments: