Thursday, July 10, 2008

4th of july

What's up with these heat waves? I swear there weren't so many last year. Anyhow, we were in cooler weather over 4th of july weekend and were up north in the San Juan Islands near Seattle. We stayed in Friday Harbor and narrowly missed the pet parade. Sad. But we did take the shuttle over to the other harbor and saw some log rolling contest in action!



So I have always been eager to try riding a tandem with the impression that then C could do all the work towing me up the hill and I could just gleefully pedal along. Sadly, it was still a lot of work and going downhill was extremely scary since I had no idea where we were going but I really liked it overall. I think it was a little easier than if I had been on my own bike but not sure. C didn't like how slow we were going up hills I could tell. Now if I can only navigate from the back, we'll be set. We toured all of Lopez island which is very popular with cyclists since it's mostly flat (though not as flat as I thought it would be). I did manage to take some pictures from the back using one hand (and C's camera - he was really nervous)

The tandem we rented:

A view from behind:

Gorgeous viewpoint in a brief moment of sunniness:


We stayed one night in Seattle and met up with J/J for dinner who were also in Seattle for the week and had a really nice and messy seafood dinner. Afterwards, we showed them our hotel room at the Hotel Andra which is really as awesome as the reviews said (they upgraded us to a suite for free!). Of note was the $60 bottle of oxygen they had for sale in the bathroom. I don't get it.

No comments: